One Houston police officer was killed and another is critically injured after both were moved to a hospital early Saturday morning after one of the department’s helicopters crashed into a building.

The crash occurred around 2:04 a.m. in the 17000 block of Imperial Valley as the chopper was on a call over a report of bodies in a bayou, according to Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo.

Meanwhile, in few minutes of receiving the call to search for the reported bodies, the chopper went down.

The pilot and the tactical flight officer got trapped “for some period of time” The had to be cut out by other emergency personnel. After they were rescued, the two were life-flighted on separate flights to Memorial Hermann Hospital.

“This is a sad morning,” Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner said at a press briefing outside the hospital Saturday.

Acevedo asked for prayers for the officers and their families and also took the time to note it was a “miracle” not more people were hurt during the crash.

He noted that the helicopter landed in an apartment complex, but somehow the pilot avoided all residential buildings and only clipped the clubhouse as it fell to the ground.

“How that pilot was able to avoid the apartment building where the residents were sleeping, there’s some silver linings tonight,” Acevedo said while addressing the media Saturday morning. “It’s a miracle and we just want this miracle to continue.”

“Had they crashed into the building itself, it would’ve been without a doubt fatal,” he said.

There was no sign of a mayday call, Acevedo said, and the Federal Aviation Administration and the National Transportation Safety Board will determine the cause of the crash.

“This is gonna be a very long investigation,” Acevedo said.

The Houston Police wounded officers’ names will be disclosed once extended families are notified, authorities said.

The officer that passed on is survived by his wife, two young children and his parents.

Acevedo said the pilot is “very banged up” but hopefully he will survive.

Around 3 a.m., while officers were working the scene of the Saturday crash, shots rang out across the street from the apartment complex. Acevedo said three suspects have been taken into custody.

The fired shots and the helicopter crash seems to be unrelated, officials said.